The most fundamental of my goals is imposing restrictions on our city government to ensure that in the future THE PEOPLE must first give consent to:
- raise the tax rate,
- go into debt,
- take away the personal liberty of what citizens can do on their own property, and/or
- violate the standards of our city that are supposed to protect our wide-open spaces & more rural lifestyle!
More than any other action we take, the four items listed above will forever save our city from city officials and special interest groups from hijacking the unique lifestyle that is sure to turn MC into the most treasured communities in North Texas.
Following is an update of specific goals that I established in May of 2016 (in no particular order):
- Pass a Senior Tax Cap. This will protect our senior citizens from future MC tax-rate increases by locking-in the current rate (seniors can already lock-in the current tax rate for County and School taxes, but the city council must first approve this before it can carry-over to city taxes). ACCOMPLISHED!
- Enact parliamentary procedures under Robert’s Rules of Order to govern all meetings of the council. This will ensure that power-hungry leaders cannot quash citizens and members of the council. ACCOMPLISHED!
- Adopt a “Code of Ethics.” This should include comprehensive and more rigorous transparency standards for city government. ACCOMPLISHED!
- Repeal/modify the newly adopted city plan. The 2015 city plan was constructed using a flawed vision for the city guided by special interest groups to the detriment and without the input or consent of the people of MC. IN PROGRESS
- Review every city contract and meet with each contractor to 1.) determine if the contract work is truly necessary, 2.) evaluate the contractor’s suitability for the job, 3.) review and negotiate new contract terms that may better serve the citizens and lessen the financial burden on taxpayers when possible. ACCOMPLISHED! The City Council met with every major contractor in open meetings that were broadcast & recorded via Facebook Live or YouTube Live and have renegotiated many contracts, which have saved taxpayers hundreds of thousands of dollars and improved the services provided.
- Establish an ordinance restricting the city council from designating its members with honors that should be reserved for citizens only. This year, while he was running for re-election, the “Citizen of the Year” was bestowed upon Councilman Steve Hatfield! Other members of city council have also received this honor while they were still on the council!!! ACCOMPLISHED!
- Restrict the membership of any city committee that is appointed by the mayor &/or council to valid registered voters of MC. ACCOMPLISHED!
- Prohibit developers/homebuilders, or related parties from serving on any city committee that deals with the planning and zoning of the community. ACCOMPLISHED!
- Create a new city website that is better suited to meet the needs of the community and help the city better communicate with citizens. ACCOMPLISHED!
- Evaluate why the city council needs iPads with data plans? The data plans have been canceled and the iPads are available to Council members that don’t have a computer or iPad of their own and are being used as added cameras during council meetings. ACCOMPLISHED! The data plans have been canceled and iPads will no longer be purchased for City Council members.
- Establish standards of accountability between RCH and the city.
- Establish higher standards of accountability between the MC Volunteer Fire Department & the city. IN PROGRESS
- Engage and coordinate with the MC Volunteer Fire Department to improve their fundraising efforts. REFUSED! THE VOLUNTEER FIRE DEPARTMENT STATED THAT THEY DO NOT WISH TO BE IN THE FUNDRAISING BUSINESS! I offered the MCVFD $10,000 to set up a fundraising program that could sustain itself in perpetuity but that too was refused.
He whose ear listens to the life-giving reproof will dwell among the wise. He who neglects discipline despises himself, but he who listens to reproof acquires understanding. The fear of the LORD is the instruction for wisdom, And before honor comes humility.